|ENGINEERS|| back to cruquius home page
|introduction | engines | sites | foundries | workings | information|
Joseph Blight (c.1867-1940). Apprenticed at R.Stephens & Co. of South Crofty Iron Works, worked at Hayle Foundry at time of Severn Tunnel, East Pool mine, engineer to King Edward Mine, 1907 chief mech.engineer S.Crofty until retirement 1937. Founder member of Cornish Institute of Engineers, also taught at Camborne and Redruth School of Mines.
Thomas Bratt (?-?). Practised in Cornwall during Watt period, thereafter associated with Wheal Vor, little else known
John Budge (1733-1823). Surname spelled Bouge in Watt letters, giving rise to some confusion (Smiles transcribed it as Bonze!). Worked as assistant under George John. Early work at Dolcoath, incl. erecting (with John Wise) the 63" atm.engine there in 1771. More atm.engines, incl. Whl.Chance. 1778 engineer to S-0789 Whl.Union. Declined to superintend B&W engine there, but C.1779 collaborated with B&W in erecting engines at Whl.Chance, Dolcoath, Pool. Owned brass foundry at Tuckingmill. Close to the Trevithicks, source of inspiration for Richard jnr. Several inventions (tapered-barrel whim patent 1772) and improvements.